Now most homes user use WiFi to connect their computers, Laptops, Tablets, Smartphone, Gaming Consoles to the Internet. Internet through WiFi is a more convenient to use, but it is also a lot easier to steal. In companies there is more security system like Firewall. But WiFi at homes is less secure. But if someone unauthorized user is staling your WiFi, then certain things may be happen like you have to pay more Internet bill, your Internet connection mysteriously slow or possibility to steal your personal data. This happens especially if you have a weak password.
Detecting Unwanted WiFi Connections:
Whenever a any device gets connected to WiFi Router, it needs a MAC address, and an IP address in order to send and receive data.
- To check the details of devices connected to your WiFi follow these steps –
- Put the Routers IP address in Browser. (By default router IP address is 192.168.1.1)
- Input your router's username and password.(Most router has default username – admin and password is – admin or password)
- Find here DHCP Client List which is under DHCP Settings.
- Here you will find DHCP Client list which contains MAC and IP address.
- Note down this list.
(This only works if everyone connected uses DHCP. If someone connects and uses their own static address, then this will not show them.)
Now find the MAC address and IP address of your connected devices.
A media access control address (MAC address) is a unique number in the World assigned to network adapter. MAC addresses are 12-digit hexadecimal numbers which looks like 18:A0:C9:14:C9:BC
There are many methods to find out MAC address of your PC. Here is one
- Start – Run – type cmd iand press Enter.
- Type here ipconfig /all in Command Prompt and Press Enter.
- Here look for Physical Address. It is a MAC address of your network adaptor.
- Also here you can find IP address for your PC.
In Android Device-
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap About Device and tap Status.
- Then scroll down and you will find IP address and WiFi MAC address.
Now you have MAC address and IP list of both your connected device in Router and If someone is stealing your Internet, they can find them.
Unfortunately, once you find out that someone is stealing your internet, change your encryption password immediately. For more security reset your router to factory settings so that you can change the default password, enabling encryption, picking a new SSID.
Free WiFi Scanner Software
If you want an easier solution to find list of devices connected to you WiFi without going to long procedure, then use some free programs.
i) Wireless Network Watcher is a small utility that scans your wireless network and displays the list of all computers and devices that are currently connected to your network. This utility works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. You can also use it to scan a small wired network.
You can download this software from here.
ii) Wireshark is open source network analysis tool, that captures packets in real time and displays them in human-readable format.