Many of us change their desktop wallpaper, colors or themes regularly. But did you think to change Welcome screen? I know it’s there only until you type password, but still you want to change it’s background? If your answer is yes then this post is for you. We can customize background wallpaper and user account picture easily.
How to change the Logon Screen’s background in Windows 7
To change background in Logon screen there is two methods -
Third Party Tool
The Tweaks.com Logon Changer for Windows 7 is free software which provides an easy way to customize the logon screen background with just a few clicks. You have to simply download the free application, run it and click Change Logon Screen.
We did not need to install this software. Just run this and Logon Changer will open with our current Windows log-on screen displayed in its main view. At the bottom there is four buttons labeled Change Logon Screen, Test, Revert to Default Logon Screen, and About button. Click Change Logon Screen button and browse for your own image. Clicking Revert to Default Logon Screen restored the old blue view of the default screen.
Image to be set in Logon screen must be less than 245KB in size, but in case you pick a larger image, Logon Changer for Windows 7 automatically creates a copy, resizes and compresses the picture to match screen’s aspect ratio.
This software is working perfect, only the thing is that you can’t set default folder path for the next time to select Image for Logon Screen.
Windows 7 Logon Background Changer is free open source software that let you change the wallpaper of the Windows 7 Logon screen.
Enabling Custom Backgrounds:
Some users doesn’t want third-party application, and they want to change Logon screen manually. This feature is disabled by default, so you’ll have to enable it from the Registry Editor. So follow these steps –
- In this method you need to modify the registry –
- Open the Windows Start menu and type regedit into the search bar.
- Now Registry Editor Windows will open.
- Here go from the path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Authentication / LogonUI / Background.
- On the right side of the window, double click on the entry OEMBackground, and change the value from 0 to 1.
- If the key does not exist, add a new DWORD value with the name OEMBackground.
- Open Windows Explorer and go to the following path:
- Now search for your desired image and rename it as backgroundDefault.jpg and place this at the above location. (Keep in mind that image size must be less then 245KB)
Customize Default User Account Picture in Windows 7
After setting our desired image in Logon screen, it’s time to customize the user picture. In Windows 7 default flower user picture is displayed for new accounts. Here is the tips how to customize your own image to be displayed here -
The default picture file is located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\ and is called user.bmp.
You have to just replace this image with your desired image. Only things to consider is that its’ size should be 128 x 128 pixels and saved as a 24-bit bitmap (.bmp) file for the best looking picture.