Remember that time, when you bought your pc and at that time you are getting the best performance of your PC. But over time, the speed of pc can decrease. This appears as the system taking more time to boot, more time to respond to a user’s actions like opening files, folders, surfing the Internet and other tasks. However, there are things you can do to speed up your computer.
Following are few and simple tips that speed up a sluggish PC and can improve its performance.
1) Remove unnecessary programs:
When you install lot of programs, it will slow down your pc. Therefore best option is to uninstall all programs you don't use.
To do this –
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
2) Limit how many programs run at startup:
If your computer takes a long time to start up, then first thing you have to do is check your startup list. There are a lot of programs that load automatically when you boot up your PC—which can really hamper performance.
To remove unnecessary items from startup –
- Click the Start button -- type “System Configuration” in the search box, and Enter.
- Then click the Startup tab and uncheck the programs you don't want to load whenever the system boots up. When in doubt, don't clear the check box.
- Last click OK and restart the pc.
3) Disk Cleanup:
Disk Cleanup deletes unnecessary or temporary files on your hard disk so you can increase the amount of storage space you have.
- Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start – in the search box type Disk Cleanup, and then Enter.
- In the Drives list, click the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
- In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete, and then click OK.
4) Delete temporary files:
Whenever a program runs on your computer it creates many temporary files, which decelerate your machine.
- Click on the Start button type Run in search box.
- Type” %temp%” and press Enter.
- Press Ctrl and A to select all of the files in this folder and delete them.
5) Scan for Virus and Malware:
You should regularly scan your system to get rid of any virus and malware that may be slowing your computer down. You can schedule these scan weekly. Also make sure that, you are not using more than one antivirus, because it will slow down your pc.
6) Defragment Your Hard Drive:
When your hard disk fills up with more data, then you delete some files to store another data and this empty space are scattered all over the surface of the disk.
Defragmenting of hard drive is necessary part system maintenance of a computer. Defragmenting allows your hard drive to access files more quickly. All Windows version has inbuilt this feature by default.
7) Clean your Browser:
If your browser is running slow, then you should clean it out regularly. All browsers have different methods to clean up temp file, cache and cookies. Check if any ad ones or toolbars are installed with browser and if found remove them.
Also consider to switch from IE to Chrome for speed boost of Internet.
8) Adjust visual effects:
Windows includes some stunning effects including animated windows and fading menus, but if you need more speed you can adjust or reduce visual effects for better performance.
- Click the Start button, type Performance Information and Tools in the search box, and then Enter. Click Adjust visual effects.
- Here you can decide if you want to let Windows choose what's best for your computer, adjust for best appearance, or adjust for best performance.
9) Do most of all these above steps within a few minutes:
If you are not a computer expert and want to do above steps, then follow this previous post - How to Boost Computer Speed with single click
Do not let down the speed of your pc, because it will affect your productivity. Use these tips to increase computer speed.